Thursday, August 26, 2010

Brain Gym - a program of physical movements that enhance learning and performance in ALL areas

My daughter who is in first grade came home from school yesterday and wanted to show me what she learned in PE class and said it was going to make her smarter. She put her arms out in front of her then crossed them at the wrists, then folded them in toward her, balanced on one foot, and pushed her tongue up against the roof of her mouth. I quickly said to her, "Ahh, that's a Brain Gym movement". She was amazed I knew that movement and wanted to look at my Brain Gym books I have in our study. I love the exercises from Brain Gym, and they can be used on kids of all ages as well as adults, here is a link:

Brain Gym - a program of physical movements that enhance learning and performance in ALL areas

I have used many of the movements within my occupational therapy sessions. Some involve crossing of the midline to help integrate the two sides of the brain, deep pressure for attention span, and eye movements which aid in tracking skills needed for reading. The benefits of Brain Gym are numerous!

No comments:

Post a Comment