Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Nurturing Parenting Programs - Stephen J. Bavolek, Ph.D.

It seems like every time I sit down to read the newspaper, I see some HORRIBLE case of child abuse or even worse a parent killing their child or step-child. So sad because it is 100% preventable! Even though I don't work often with children who have been physically or sexually abused, I do from time to time. Unfortunately, many of the children I work with have special needs (physical and mental) and can't express this event to anyone else.

As a professional who works in the homes with families, I am put in a place of educating the parents not just on rehab. techniques, but also how to discipline and love their child. One program that is worth professionals being trained in to learn how to do this is the Nurturing Parenting Program. I love the philosophy of the Nurturing Parenting Program which emphasizes positive, nurturing interactions between parent/caregiver and children. This fits right in with my other philosophies as an early intervention occupational therapist and infant massage instructor. To find out more about the program, go to this link:

Nurturing Parenting Programs - Stephen J. Bavolek, Ph.D.

If we can help educate these parents on other ways to discipline their child other than physical harm, then maybe, just maybe, we have made the most important change in that family member's life!

In addition, those of us who are parents and/or professionals can always learn more strategies to use in our own lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment